I'm sure there are many of us that either, do not drink water at all, other than in tea & coffee, or do not drink enough.
I know many people struggle to sometimes drink it, when maybe the weather is cold or just the sheer volume of it but yet, would any of us who drink alcohol or fizzy drinks, struggle to drink a bottle of wine, beers, diet coke etc surprising how the litres can suddenly build up!
Water is an essential nutrient and often gets overlooked. We could potentially live days without food but without water we would not last much more than a day!
Here's a reminder of a few of it's main functions:
- It basically helps everything to work properly within our bodies
- Assists the metabolism of nutrients and help them to carry them to the blood
- Helps the kidneys to function normally
- Removes waste products
- Lubricates joints and organs
- Helps with building & repairing the body
- Assists with the regulation of body temperature
What happens if we don't drink enough?
Well, we can become dehydrated. Here are a few signs that can tell us that potentially we are:
- Firstly check your wee! Our wee can tell a story! Is it dark in colour and less of it? If the answer is yes - then this is sign
- Feeling thirsty
- Reduced energy and feeling light headed